I have to admit that the only reason I really tune in to the Oscars is for the three hours of red carpet coverage leading up to the event. It is supremely satisfying to spend a Sunday evening sitting on the couch in your sweats, judging other people’s fashion choices. That, and watching Ryan Seacrest address Hollywood’s collective eating disorder on live television. Awkward.
I have to admit that I was a little bit underwhelmed by the red carpet last night. After keeping a close eye on the awards season, I was hoping to see some major fashion drama! Unfortunately for me, the fashions were very “safe”. However predictable the looks, there were some ladies whose choices did take my breath away! Today I present to you my selections for last night’s Oscar Fashion Winners. They may not have taken home the gold man himself, but they have won gold (in my heart) for their phenomenal sartorial successes.
5. In fifth place we have Halle Berry wearing a metallic striped Versace number. This dress is so “Bond Girl” which is fitting for the James Bond Tribute that she presented last night. I selected Halle for the number 5 spot based on her bold garment selection. I know that this dress my be a controversial pick for the best dressed list – my mother texted me last night just to let me know how much she hated Halle’s dress!!! (She used a lot of exclamation points). But, based on the bold graphic stripes, the plunging neckline and the fact that she is ROCKING the chopped hair trend that dominated the evening, I say Halle sparkled her way to the top of the pack!
4. Charlize Theron can pretty much do no wrong in my book. We all know by now that she is one of the fabulous faces of Dior, so we could pretty much guarantee she would show up in Dior Haute Couture. She did manage to shock me when I actually got a glimpse of her newly cropped ‘do’. I have always been obsessed with a girl that can rock a pixie cut. It is bold and fresh and not many can pull it off. Short hair was all the rage last night but no one was looking bolder or fresher than Miss Theron.
3. Dear Kerry, you are my favourite red carpet fashionista. You never shy away from colour, print or texture. Your understanding of fit and fabric is sensational. You are genetically perfect. You and this Miu Miu dress are a match made in heaven. I love the bow detailing. That is all. Xoxo Lesley.
2. Zoe Saldana is one of those girls whose fashion I always want to love – but don’t. Thankfully for me, she showed up last night in a dress by Alexis Mabille. She was perfection. Every little bit of the look is spot on. The embellished bust line was what initially grabbed my attention, but it was the ombre train that sealed her fate as one of the top fashionistas of the evening. Though she walked the red carpet alone, we all know that later that night she had the ultimate accessory on her arm, rumoured boyfriend Bradley Cooper. Swoon.
1. She won Oscar gold and now she has won fashion gold. We all saw the debut of Jennifer Lawrence’s Dior ads earlier this week, so it was a given that she would be the belle of the ball, parading down the red carpet in the French fashion house’s ultimate haute couture dress. What wasn’t a given was that a girl like me, a girl who detests anything too “girly”, would fall head over heels for this pale pink ball gown. The hair was incredible, but what sealed the deal was the necklace that Jennifer wore down her back. There is nothing cooler in the world of accessories than finding the ultimate moment to rock a back necklace. Rock it she did. Plus, she delivered the high light of the Oscar’s evening (no, not when she fell), when being interviewed by Ryan Seacrest, she hiked up her Dior and admitted how hungry she was. Love JLaw.
Honourable mention goes out to Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen, Jenna Dewan-Tatum for looking fabulous while that pregnant and Quvenzhane Wallis for rocking her puppy purse! Do you agree with my picks? Was there anyone that you would have added to the winner’s circle?
* Pictures courtesy of The Cut